Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Irene's Top Ten Favorite Kingston Trio Songs

                         My Favorite Kingston Trio Songs

At Large (album) - Wikipedia

Um, I like the Kingston Trio. That is the reason for this post. What other reasons do I need? 
But honestly, they are really good. It annoys me to no end that many singing groups that have three or more members often don't even harmonize. At all. Harmonizing is awesome! Harmonizing is the reasons singing group exist! Why would you waste this opportunity? But the Kingston Trio does NOT waste this opportunity, and that's why I like them. Starting in the late 50's and going until the late 60's, the three California-dwelling singers Dave Guard (later replaced by John Stewart), Bob Shane, and Nick Reynolds started a revival of American folk music that really took off. The sixties was full of folk music groups, including Peter, Paul and Mary, The Seekers, and, um.... I know there were more, but I am blanking right now. Needless to say, the Kingston Trio was very popular. It really isn't hard to say why. None of the three members have what I would called spectacular voices, but when together their harmonies are vibratingly beautiful and they all sing with real feeling. Their style is very earthy. Very down to earth. I don't know, they just sound authentic and unpretentious. I like them very much. So without further ado, here are my top ten favorite Kingston Trio songs.

Should I Plant a Weeping Willow? - Bower & Branch

10. Weeping Willow
This one is a beautiful love song/lament. His love is untrue, she'll bring him to ruin. But unfortunately, like so many other lovers in songs, he just can't bring himself to stop loving her. *Sighhhh* It has a lovely, dreamy melody and the harmony on the chorus is too beautiful. 
'Bury me beneath the willow, 'neath the weeping willow tree.
When she hears that I am sleeping, maybe then, she'll think of me.'

Sunrise - Wikipedia

9. My Lord What A Mornin'
This is an awesome worship song. I've heard a couple different versions of it, but the Kingston Trio version is my favorite. They start with just one voice singing 'My Lord, what a mornin'' and then another voice is added and then they all sing together. The intensity builds throughout the whole song, so by the end of it you might want to have your hand on the volume. Again, the harmony is wonderful, and the song is a happy and triumphant one.
'I can hear the Christians singing.
When the stars begin to fall.'

Smoky Mountain Tourism Helps Tennessee Break Record

8. Run The Ridges
I'm not even sure what this song is about. It's about Tennessee, I know that much. When I listen to it, I envision a western movie. Every single time. It tells a story, but like I said, I don't really know it. I probably don't listen well enough. The Trio switches between singing the chorus quickly and without harmony, to slowly WITH harmony. It adds flavor to the song and the story in the song. I love the quick and intense guitar music throughout. An altogether enjoyable song!
'And we will run the ridges of our green land Tennessee,
And we we will hide for forty years if that's what's meant to be, meant to be, meant to be.'

The 30 Most Beautiful Towns in America | Viewfinder Blog

7. One More Town
Ahhh, this one. The ultimate wandering aimlessly, nostalgic song. The man in this song is always moving, moving on from one town to the next. Does he know where he's going? Nope. He just know he must keep on movin' on. This is song reminds me of a tumbleweed being blown across the prairies by a gentle wind. I know there are rarely gentle winds on the prairie, but this song feels like that. It's a sad song, but beautiful in its own way.
'If there's one more song I'll be singin'
I'm always goin' but I don't know where.'

Beach Sunset With People Wallpaper HD 1080p (With images) | Beach ...

6. Seasons In The Sun
This is definitely NOT the most famous version of this song, but it my favorite (sorry Larry Jacks). It might seem a little fast for those not used to it, but the first time I heard the chorus it just gave me flashbacks of good times on the beach with my friends. This song (originally a French tune) is about a man who is dying (presumably) and is saying goodbye to his best friend, his father, and his wife. I like the variations with the fast and slow choruses and the quickly strumming guitar. I really do imagine sunny days on the beach, basking under palm trees, even though I've never basked under a palm tree in my life. Seasons in the Sun is quite an apt name for this song, in my opinion.
'All our lives we had fun, we had seasons in the sun,
But the stars we could reach were just starfish on the beach.'


Autumn Leaves Falling in Slow Stock Footage Video (100% Royalty ...

5. Chilly Winds
Okay, THIS is the ultimate nostalgic Kingston Trio song. It's so pretty!!! Starting with a lovely, delicate, and chilly sounding guitar opening, the song enters into a melancholic song about wandering and unrequited love. And just so you know, I liked this song much better after listening to it a couple of times. It grew on me immensely after several listens.  Each verse is surprisingly beautiful, albeit simple. It makes one ache in the chest. 
'I'm leavin' in the springtime, won't be back till fall.
If I can forget you, I might not come back at all,
Our where them chilly winds don't blow.'

Murder by Gaslight: Hang Down Your Head Tom Dula

4. Tom Dooley
Based on the real life story of Tom Dula, the Tom Dooley folk song, sung by the Kingston Trio, made famous the tragic story of the Confederate soldier who was convicted of the murder of Laura Foster. It think that Dooley killed Miss Foster on accident, but I can't remember at the moment. The song itself is solemn and straightforward. Not too melancholic at all, it is rather told from a distant point of view. The singers tell Tom Dooley to 'Hang down his head and cry' as he is about to be hung. It's a great song.
'Hang down your head, Tom Dooley
Hang down your head and cry.
Hang down your head, Tom Dooley,
Poor boy, you're bound to die.'


On the Money: A US Dollar Bill's Design History and Meaning | Time

3. Greenback Dollar
Dangggg, this song is so cool! The beginning guitar chords sound surprisingly modern, like something you might find in a current rock song. Be warned that Greenback Dollar does contain the d-word in the chorus. You have been warned. So basically, the guy in this song travels here and there, does what he wants, sings what must be song, and doesn't give a darn about a greenback dollar. Good for him, I say. Money is the root of all evil, after all. But honestly, this song is one of the rock songs of the folk world. It's amazingly legit.
'Some people say I'm a no-count,
Others say I'm no good,
But I'm just a natural-born travellin' man,
Doin' what I think I should, oh yeah, doin' what I think I should.'

Amazon.com: Watch Lots & Lots of Really Big Trains - Giants on the ...

2. 500 Miles 
I have heard many, many versions of this beautiful song and the Kingston Trio version is still my favorite. John Stewart (who sings the verses) has such a yearning and melancholic voice, and that works perfectly for this song. The guitar solo is enchanting. The premise of a traveler farm from home who just can't go home because of the sorry state he is in is heartbreaking. I first heard this song while driving across the wide open space of Eastern Washington, and it was incredible. Talk about nostalgic. 
'If you miss the train I'm on, you will know that I am gone,
You can hear the whistle blow a hundred miles.'

 Country Roads Sunset Photograph by Beth Gates-Sully

1. I'm Going Home
As the winner of first place, I'm sure you all can tell that I'm Going Home has a special place in my heart. Just like 500 Miles, Chilly Winds, and One More Town, I'm Going Home is about roaming hear and there, near and far, everywhere but home. But unlike all those other songs, this one has a feeling of anticipation. A feeling that no matter how far you stray, you can always find the road back home. It is introduced by a single banjo playing a fast melody that makes you wanna get in that car and drive! It has a rousing chorus and beautiful words. I really love this song.
'Folks who know me call me a drifter. They don't know I'll stop my ramblin'.
They don't know that someday, somewhere somebody's gonna make me settle down!
I'm going home Lord, I'm going home. I'm going home Lord, I'm going home.'

  
Kingston Trio receives Lifetime Grammy Award - The San Diego Union ...


~Irene

2 comments:

  1. I like the Kingston Trio so much! Especially "Tom Dooley" because... when I lived in NC, I lived about 15 minutes from Wilkesboro, where the real Tom Dula story played out. Pretty fascinating stuff!

    BTW, I nominated you for the Sunshine Blogger Award. Play if you want to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's legit! That was one crazy story.
    Wow, thanks! Anna and I will go do it!

    ReplyDelete